Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Back to BCMAG Website
18.12.2017 at 12:39:11
News: We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The annual Mike Hailwood Memorial Run this Sunday (Read 3840 times)
Mr.M

The annual Mike Hailwood Memorial Run this Sunday
21.03.2007 at 18:25:25

The annual Mike Hailwood Memorial Run takes place this Sunday, March 25.

Mike died in 1981, after a career spanning 20 years, which included nine World Championships, 76 GP wins and 14 TT victories.  In 1978 TT, at the age of 38, he pulled off one of the most famous motorcycling victories of all time in the Formula 1 race. Hailwood was killed in 1981 in a road accident, which also claimed the life of his daughter Michelle.

The Memorial Run began in 2001, and last year 150 motorcyclists turned out to remember the racing legend. This year the Run begins at the former Norton Works in Aston, Birmingham at 11.30am. The route ends at Tanworth, in Arden, with a short service at 12.30pm. All ages of bikes are welcome, and there is no pre-registration needed.

IP Logged
Bod

Death by banjo is
not nice - trust me
on this.

Re:  The annual Mike Hailwood Memorial Run th
Reply #1 - 21.03.2007 at 19:08:37

Wotcha.

I'll be heading for Wistanstow - this time I'll try not to get a flat back tyre  cry

Tony Rutter is guest of honour at this year’s Shropshire VINTAGE & CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE SHOW and Jumble. Opens 10am to 4pm, admission £3 at Wistanstow Hall off the A49 near Craven Arms. Ron Maund 01588 672551

Email WWW   IP Logged
big4
YaBB Newbies

BCMAG is my life!

Reply #2 - 21.03.2007 at 21:49:05

See you there Bod. Re the Mike Hailwood run this is run by the Birmingham Testers a couple of years ago they were having a run from the Norton factory to Llandridod Wells entitled The Testers Run, that weekend I was going to an event at Stoke Prior Bromsgrove so I emailed them describing my Old Norton and could I have the route details so I could join in without going into the centre of Brum .Dear me, the response I had was that if I didnt go to the start they would not let me have the route details that is for somebody who was riding a motorcycle made in Birmingham.No doubt they had many people turning up on Bikes not made in Birmingam.

PS Bod next year please cancel the snow for the sunday as this year again coming over the Clee Hills it was snowing but at least the road was not blocked like last year.

IP Logged
Bod

Death by banjo is
not nice - trust me
on this.

Reply #3 - 21.03.2007 at 22:28:55

Wotcha.

Went on one of the Birmingham Testers runs.  Left from the old New Imperial works . . . . and it sort of went downhill from there.  I gave up before the run even got out of Birmingham.

It's a classic case of "good idea" - pity it doesn't seem to work.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Testersrun
YaBB Newbies

BCMAG is everything

Reply #4 - 21.04.2007 at 23:05:52

Well isn’t it amazing who you meet on the Internet! Thanks for registering me Steve

My name is Jon Price and I am the sole organiser of both The Birmingham Testers Run & The Mike Hailwood Memorial Run. Sole meaning by myself, without any help.

Thank you Mr M for publising the MH run, this years turnout of around 120 surprised everyone including me as many said interest would wane after the 25th year.

Blackcountry MAG have always been invited to both runs and as far as I am aware there are always one or two that turn up.

Now to our two whingers.

Big 4 voiced his complaint a couple of years ago on the TESTERS FORUM/NEWSLETTER GROUP and was politely told where to get off by several of our members.

The aim of the Birmingham Testers Run is to maintain a profile of the former Birmingham motorcycle factories and to publicise their presence to motorcyclists and the general public. The main point of the whole run is to actually start from one of the factories. Last year it was James, this year it will be Velocette. Big 4 wanted us to change the rules for him because he didn’t want to go to the trouble of riding into Birmingham and back out. If everyone adopted this attitude there would be no run at all. A lot of riders travel considerable distances to take part on both runs and personally I find it insulting that someone like Big 4 cannot be bothered to make the effort to travel a few miles. Every year we have a Velocette rider who comes from Bury. Occasionally we have a chap with a 250cc C15 who drives down from Edinburgh and stays in a B& B. Chris Smith from the Isle of Man also takes B& B to take part. This year a group of riders came from Scarborough. Phil Hannam regularly rode up from the South Coast-- but this chap, Big 4 who is local cant be bothered. Big 4 as you were told on our forum--Our run is not for you.

You also stated on here that you have a bike that was made in Birmingham. Do you think that should give you some sort of preferential treatment if so I would respectfully remind you that it was that type of arrogant attitude that ended the British Motorcycle industry?  

You also stated on our forum that everybody had to do what I wanted! Well as I am the organiser I suppose I could sort of insist on that couldn’t I? However this and all the above highlights again that you know little about the runs or their aims. Both runs are open to anyone on, or in, any type of vehicle. They are runs for enthusiasts of the British and Birmingham motorcycle Industry, what you chose to ride or drive is up to you. Unlike many other runs there is no registration and most importantly of all it is FREE.  

The runs, starting points and destination are chosen by the regular riders not me. The final routing is decided the day before the event by me and this is in case of diversions/roadworks etc. No one is given any idea of the route till the day  

Now BOD.

I am sorry it went 'downhill' for you on The Testers Run before you even left Birmingham. I would imagine you got lost which is a bit embarrassing really because all of the old age pensioners on bikes between 40 and 70 years old made it, not just past the Birmingham boundary but all the way to Llandrindod Wells. If you would like to come on this years run I can arrange to have a map printed for you and we could colour it in at the start for you.

Oh by the way you probably went the wrong way because geologically speaking you should have been going uphill to cross the sandstone ridge which runs SW – NE across Birmingham.

Obviously I cannot satisfy everyone’s desires and aspirations but as I often say if you can do better—you organise it and for once I will take part!

For those riders who are genuinely interested in the Birmingham motorcycle industry full details of both runs are on

www.madeinbirmingham.org

Please also note--- on the Testers Run  EN ROUTE STARTS ARE NOT PERMITTED!

IP Logged
Bod

Death by banjo is
not nice - trust me
on this.

Reply #5 - 22.04.2007 at 18:13:04

Quote from Testersrun on 21.04.2007 at 23:05:52:

Now BOD.

I am sorry it went 'downhill' for you on The Testers Run before you even left Birmingham. I would imagine you got lost which is a bit embarrassing really because all of the old age pensioners on bikes between 40 and 70 years old made it, not just past the Birmingham boundary but all the way to Llandrindod Wells. !

Wotcha.

Sniffs bait -  

Try harder next time.

Email WWW   IP Logged
big4
YaBB Newbies

BCMAG is my life!

Reply #6 - 25.04.2007 at 18:41:56

I do not wish to get into an agrgument but I do not like being decribed as a winger by some ............ so and so. Please note as I said I could not get into Birmingham for the start as I was attending another event on the saturday night.Re not being bothered to get into the centre of Birmingham I have ridden  that is under its own power not on a trailer behind a car my Norton over the years to The South of France, Switzerland, Germany,Holland etc etc so a few miles into Birmingam was not a problem TIME was the problem, I wished to join and take part in the run but o dear me unless one follows the STRICT Rules you are not allowed to join.

Having ridden motorcycles for almost 40 years I have found a lot of friends throughout Great Britain and Europe and very few  ..............

I was offering to join a run celebrating the Birmingham Motorcycle Industry on a motorcycle MADE IN BIRMINGHAM not Germany,Italy or Japan but due to the rules ?????? I was not allowed dear me. PLEASE GET A LIFE

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print