Send Topic Print
MAG membership fees (Read 2882 times)
Steve - Admin
YaBB Administrator

I am the law

MAG membership fees
27.06.2009 at 21:57:15

Hi All

This is likely to be an inflamatory issue, so please read to the end before posting.

This might seem like a daft question, but how would everyone feel about a 25% increase in your MAG membership fees?

The last National Committee meeting has passed this fee increase, to take effect from November - single membership will be 25 per year. MAG's income has been severely hit this year, with events like the last Stormin' being rained off, and other events suffering due to weather or the current economic climate, so this has been seen as the only way to keep MAG functioning.

In Western Region, we are dismayed by this increase, and have asked it to be put on the agenda again for the next National Committee meeting in August. We feel that it is likely to lose us upto 25% of our membership, so will do nothing for our finances, whilst causing lots of ill feeling.

The next NC meeting is to be held at the Yorkshire Pudding rally near Sheffield. Eddie (West Mids Rep) is unable to attend. As we were already booked to go to this rally, I've offered to represent West Midlands MAG at the NC meeting, which Eddie is happy with. I feel it is important the West Midlands MAG is represented on this issue, as it is arguably the area worst hit by the current financial problems.

Please let me know your views on this matter before the end of July, so I can present them at the meeting at the start of August.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Big_Vern
Global Moderator

Life's a beach - and
the sand gets
everywhere

Re: MAG membership fees
Reply #1 - 02.07.2009 at 16:50:11

Cheers for the offer to represent us at the meeting Steve, it's appreciated.

I for one would be one of those who would have to think long and hard about whether to renew my membership or not. The current economic climate has hit my household very hard and we are scrabling around for ways to save the pennies.

Currently I am (through NABD) already an associate member of both MAG and BMF, and looking at what I now get through MAG (I know it's a selfish way to look at it, but needs must) I would loose very little if I were not to renew my personal membership.

I have a variety of yearly subscriptions to various membership organisations, not to mention services, and I am having to review all of them at the moment.

An increase will not go down well.

Vic

Vic Hawkes
West Midlands Rep
National Association for Bikers with a Disability
http://www.nabd.org.uk

Keeper of the West Mids MAG website chalice
http://west-midlands-region.mag-uk.org
WWW   IP Logged
starbuck
God Member

fast bikes are best

Reply #2 - 04.07.2009 at 12:26:03

I do not think 5 is a problem really , its only 1 less box of fags or a pint and half less per year. I will still keep my member ship going.

time waits for no man
Email WWW   IP Logged
reaperman

I love my Harley,
but bikes are bikes
are bikes.

Reply #3 - 09.07.2009 at 07:47:39

well i will be keeping my membership going.
 from the moment i first joined i thought the membership fee's were less than they should/could have been for the support that it provides bikers in general throughout the country.
i am a member of various clubs, covering various activities and in general for what MAG does for us it is the best value for money you will get.
twenty pounds a year, thats 0.38p per week or 0.05p per day.  
members will have to prioritise for their own situations but in the real world what can you get for that sort of money?  
8 or 9 pints for the year? 3 or 4 packs of fags for the year? 4 gallons of petrol, in a year?
this organisation helps and supports us for almost nothing and deserves all our support in return.

right i'll get off the box now.  Grin

i'm so laid back i keep falling over.
Email   IP Logged
Day Walker
God Member

Is it dim in here,
or is it me?

Reply #4 - 09.07.2009 at 21:55:38

Even though i'm now on a 2 day week, I don't think the increase will stop us from re-newing our MAG membership, thanks for representing us Steve  x

Lifes' journey is not to arrive at the graveside in a well preserved body, but, to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH*T, WHAT A RIDE"!!
  IP Logged
Steve - Admin
YaBB Administrator

I am the law

Reply #5 - 27.07.2009 at 12:50:02

Thanks for all the responses.

That was a lot more positive than I expected. I might need to use a slightly smaller soap-box to rant from at the NC meeting.

My own view is that we may lose some of the existing membership if this increase happens, and that it becomes much harder to recruit new members.

We might end up losing overall income from this increase in fees.  

The meeting is on the 8th August, so please feel free to make more comments before then.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print